Jily

Anyone doing IVF?

2,875 posts in this topic

Hi Honeylee,

Hope the below information helps u to understand better about OHSS..

Anyway, if your doctor monitor closely during the IVF process, you might not have to go thru this... :rolleyes:

Where is the fibroid located last time? Mine one is at both fallopian tube, to have a higher success rate, i have to cut off the damaged tubes before go thru IVF.. scare the fluid in the fibroid might kill the embryos...

About OHSS

The medications used to stimulate your ovaries may cause side effects. These side effects can range from mild to severe. Excessive stimulation of the ovaries is called ovarian hyperstimulation. This may require removing some of the fluid in our office and/or a hospital stay in approximately 1 % of the patients. Be aware of body changes and ask your primary nurse if you have any questions or concerns. She will contact the physician if necessary. You may have symptoms of mild hyperstimulation during your treatment cycle, however, moderate and severe symptoms usually occur 6-8 days after treatment ends.

SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS

WHY IT HAPPENS

WHAT TO DO

Mild

You may experience:

- Abdominal bloating and feeling of fullness

- Nausea

- Diarrhea

- Slight weight gain

This may be due to:

- Ovaries are larger than normal, tender and fragile

- High level so estrogen (E2) and progesterone in the bloodstream may upset your digestive system and fluid balance causing bloating.

Recommended treatment:

- Avoid sexual intercourse

- Do not have a vaginal (pelvic) exam other than by one of our physicians

- Reduce activities, no heavy lifting, straining or exercise

- Drink clear fluids, flat coke, ginger ale, cranberry juice, Gatorade or Ensure

Moderate

You may also experience:

- Weight gain of greater than 2 lbs. per day (excessive weight gain)

- Increased abdominal measurement causing clothes to feel tight

- Vomiting & diarrhea

- Urine is darker and amount is less

- Skin/hair may feel dry

- Thirst

This may be due to:

- High levels of hormones in the bloodstream upset the digestive system

- Fluid imbalance causes dehydration because body fluids collect in the abdomen and other tissues

- This fluid collection causes severe bloating

As noted above plus:

- Call our nurses

- You may need to be seen by a physician who will do an ultrasound

- Record your weight twice daily

- Record the number of times you urinate each day

- Contact our office if you note a five pound weight gain over the previous 24 hours, note a drop in the frequency of urination (~50%), or increasing pelvic pain

Severe

You may also experience:

- Fullness/bloating up above the belly button

- Shortness of breath

- Urination has reduced or stopped and become darker

- Calf pains and chest pains

- Marked abdominal bloating or distention

- Lower abdominal pain

This may be due to:

- Extremely large ovaries

- Fluid collects in lungs and/or abdominal cavity, as well as in tissues

- The risk of abnormal blood clotting increases

As noted above plus:

- Notify the physician on call

- You may need to be assessed at the hospital or our clinic

- Excess fluid may need to be removed from your abdominal cavity

Actually my hb also always travel to oversea.. but after our discussion, he plan well and stay with me during the IVF process.. If always travel around and take not enough rest,will affect the quality of the sperm too.. so, better safe than sorry lo...

For my dr, he will prefer us to do ICSI if the sperm is not PERFECT(although my hb is in good range)...to get a higher chance for fertilisation...at the end i got 58% of fertilisation rate..

I'm now taking vitamins to get ready for FET...

Did anyone of u heard of success story of FET??

oh ya.. HoneyLee, why don't u try clomid or IUI before IVF?

It can save u lots of money if you can get pregnant in that way..

OHSS stands for ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. During fertility treatment, the ovaries are stimulated by hormones to produced more 'eggs'. The 'eggs' are contained in a shell call follicles. In IVF, the num of follicles produced are much higher than in IUI or chlomid cycle. In IVF, the dr will retrieve only the eggs and leave the follicles behind. These follicles contain liquid. The more follicles you have, the higher the water/liquid content in your ovaries. Thus, the ovaries will be enlarged.

Fluids in ovaries will also attract water to your abdomen thus causes bloating. For me, I had 16 follicles. The water retention was so bad that I looked like I was 6 months pregnant. Gained 7kg due to the water. Then, the water went into my lungs and cause breathing difficulties. I was hospitalised and had the water drained from my abdomen. But the water came back as it has gone into my lungs and there's nothing the dr can do to treat it. Just wait for it to subside. OHSS takes from 1 week to 3 months to subside. I was back to my normal weight and shape in 3 weeks. It was the longest 3 weeks in my life!! My ovaries are still enlarged due to the water but at least I don't look like I am 6 months pregnant anymore.

As for the symptoms, well, the dr said my ovaries are 10 times larger than usual. I had very bad diarrhea that everytime I pass urine, some poo poo will come out as well. Very dehydrated. Very concentrated urine. After climbing 1 flight of stairs, I was so breathless that I felt like collapsing. The water pushed my diaphragm causing me to have breathing difficulty. I had to sleep in a sitting position otherwise I can't breathe

Doraemon,

your doctor didn't notice that your ovaries are hyper stimulated during the ultrasound scan (before egg retrieval)?

but anyway, you are finally pregnany too.. :rolleyes:

Did you go to check up often?

do update us your current status ya..

Doraemon,

your doctor didn't notice that your ovaries are hyper stimulated during the ultrasound scan (before egg retrieval)?

but anyway, you are finally pregnany too.. :rolleyes:

Did you go to check up often?

do update us your current status ya..

He did. He reduced the dosage thereafter. But then the OHSS was still so bad.

I went for checkup yesterday. Saw the heartbeats already and I'm having twins! :lol:

Hi Strawberry

Thanx for your reply. In fact, planned to go for 2nd attempt last year but hb strongly discouraged. He said no point going thru all the heartache and the side effects again. I brought up the matter again this year bcos age is catching up with both of us....if not this year might, as well forget about it....still no no for him. He said if it is fated for us to hv our own child we do not need to go thru such way to get one. God has his own plan for us.

Then I asked him about adoption and he did not object to it. I think adoption is my only way for the time being but how to go about it? :(

Doraemon,

how many days u are in bed rest after FET?

did u go up n down staircase?

mind to share your daily activities and supplements during that 2ww?

Strawberry, Doraemon

Thanks for ur detail explaination on OHSS. That really sounds scary.

Doctor advised us ICSI straight away. Actually I consulted 2 doctors, both also suggest ICSI as my husband's sperm is not good.

So husband need to be around for approx 5 weeks for the IVF right? I hope we can plan properly. I really scared to go through this alone.

actually i took 49days (count from the Day 1 i took the 1st injection until i get the result..)

if your hb is travel a lot one, he may be can plan to stay with you the week u have the egg retrieval(also need his sperm for fertilisation), normally ppl will do Day 3 embryo transfer.. unless u ask for Blastocyst stage one.. then wait for Day 5 after egg retrieval..

Strawberry, sending baby dust to you and everyone else too! :)

First 3 days after FET, I was on bed most of the time. Of course going up and down the stairs as well but slowly. During that time, I just eat, sleep and watch tv. After the first 3 days, I started to do light activities like ironing clothes, sweep floor, very light and short shopping, etc. 1 week after that, I basically cannot do anything except for toss and turn on my bed as I had bad OHSS. It was CNY right after my FET and we had to balik kg. The nurse asked us to drive slowly as bumps and jerks might cause the embryo to fall off or went to the fallopian tubes. But my hb drove as usual. Not too harsh though.

As for supplements, I did not take any. But the nurse asked me not to take oranges, green apples, coffee, tea and chinese herbs. She said oranges and green apples are very acidic. It might kill the embryos. So this year CNY I did not eat mandarin oranges at all.

Honeylee, your hb needs to be around only on the day of the egg pick up. No need for him to be around for the entire 5 weeks unless you need him to do the injections for you and be around to support you. But then you can always do the jabs yourself.

There is higher chance of pregnancy for blastocyst transfer but then the dr will have to see the quality of the embros. If quality good, then can wait till it become blastocyst. Other wise, the dr will have to transfer the embryos at day 2 or 3. The embryos will have better chance of survival inside our bodies.

Good luck to you. Keep us update ok?

HI Jilly,

The adoption journey is tough... I had submit application form to Jabatan Kebajikan. and need to do home study before they send our application to KL to proceed..

I had a friend who waiting for 5 years still no good news for the adoption yet...

The Kebajikan officer told me that if there're any ppl want to giveaway baby due to financial difficulty, then it's good. else if we want to wait for the Kebajikan one, then she will process our application, but the waiting list for chinese baby is very long, we have to wait lo...

I'm looking around for adoption too.. but unfortunately there're none.. selling one have la....if i got lots of money, for sure i'll try IVF again instead of get into adoption unless tried a few failed IVF attempts..

What do u think?

Doraemon, congratz congratz. twins wow. even before i go for IVF, I kept thinking how should I breast feed if I have twins or triplets. I must be goin crazy, not yet try already think about breast feeding.

Strawberry, forgot to answer ur question. My fibroid is withing the wall of my uterus, veru near to the inner cavity. So doc suggest to remove, as if the fibroid keep growing it will enter the cavity and will make the egg diffucult to stick.

So if do IVF have to take leave lor, especially from egg retrieval to few days after FET (i assume this is the day the put the embie in ur tummy?)

My IVF plan have to wait for a moment. Hubby still working in China now, only relocate back to Msia end March. But he already have assignments lined up for him - to Taiwan & Japan. The schedule is not out yet, so a bit diff to plan. And, my cycle is getting longer now is 32 days. It used to be 28 and each cycle is 1 days longer than the last :blink:

For my case, i spend the 2ww at home.. i had back to work one day after egg retrieval and start take off from the day i had ET.

I think it depends on individual.. if you feel you are comfortable at home and company allow u to take off , then why not?

Anyway, for my coming FET, i plan to take off for the 1st week of 2ww only..

Thanks Honeylee.

Strawberry, if you would like to adopt, I suggest you go to government hospitals. Talk to the nurse there. They might be able to help you find a baby which the parents would like to give up for adoption. The wife of my hb's staff is a nurse. They have just adopted an unwanted baby.

Doraemon,

Thanks for the info.

Where is your location? Can help to ask your fren for favor?

your hb's staff is Malay or Chinese?

Kebajikan said very seldom have unwanted chinese baby..And i go to many ophanages.. and i know it's truth... i'm so disappointed..

It's good if your hb's staff can do us a favor by leaing our contact to Government Hospital staff that they contacted...

Babyblue,

If i were ion her shoes, i'll still continue the pregnancy and i'll still sue the Hospital for this serious mistake..

The baby is innocent.. When the time she knew she is pregnant, the baby bring joy and happiness to her! She kill the innocent baby! :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Babyblue,

If i were ion her shoes, i'll still continue the pregnancy and i'll still sue the Hospital for this serious mistake..

The baby is innocent.. When the time she knew she is pregnant, the baby bring joy and happiness to her! She kill the innocent baby! :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Strawberry,

Ya, I think I will keep the baby and sue the hospital. So difficult to get a baby right. But I guess it is social kinda thing that she abort the baby. It's mentioned in the news that it is rare in Japan.

diff mentality i guess. it's not common for the japanese to raise other ppl's child be it fm an IVF misconduct, surrogate mother or adoption. so can't really blame the poor mother. she's pitiful enough.

i for one won't go for adoption as i can't bring myself to treat & love a total stranger. surrogate mother is a no-no to me as well. who knows, a few yrs later the surrogate mother might track down MY CHILD & said she want him/her back! & this might happen to adoption too.

but if it's an ivf misconduct, mayb i would consider... mayb...

Since she know she is hard to get pregnant naturally, then when she get pregnant thru IVF, she should know how wonderful if she get the miracle one... how come she can just destroy the little one??(although the hospital told her abt the news) :angry::angry::angry:

The most pity one is the little one.. the baby is not even have a word for this.. not even enter the world and enjoy the life..She took away everything of the baby!

May be like what u said, we won't know what she is thinking.. but as for me, i can't just take away a healthy life which grow in my tummy,the precious one... :(

If adoption is done thru legal law, the birth mother need to sign an agreement to state that she had no right to interact the child there after.. :)

u hv to put urself in the mother shoes. it's not hers, so how do u expect her to accept it? u may be able to accept it but not for her i guess. supposed there's no right or wrong on this. it's what u want, how u decide & u bear the consequences. as simple as that.

adoption does go thru the legal way but anything can happen. it won't b at ur control when the parents of the adopted child interfere.

strawberry199, may i ask? is it that ur religion is against abortion (that is y u so upset)?

I'm a Buddhist.. but my comment is not affected by my religion.. i'm also pay respect to other religion because i know we have to learn the good things from other religion as well.. :rolleyes:

If i were in her shoes, i'll disappointed with the hospital and going to sue them but i'll will keep and raise the child.. because he/she is growing in our tummy.. a very precious thing that God sent to us...

This is the Fate n would not do anything that may harm the baby... It's just my feelings...

Anyway, She still can have ET for her own egg in the future...

my stand is with strawberry,

i will not comment on why or how could she abort the baby. but to me that is a life. a little life is growing in the tummy. abortion is tantamount to killing. it have nothing to do with religion, just how u look at things. some people just can't see that a fetus is indeed a living creature.

oops, it makes me wanna convert to be vegetarian now. we have side tracked from the main issue here. :P we better get back to IVF issue.

from my understanding, there is a relegion that forbid abortion. to them there is no such thing as abortion be it the fetus is healthy or not. even if scan shows that a limb is missing, she is not to abort the pregnancy. meaning unless the fetus is lifeless, else no abortion, which i thot this is too cruel to the to-be-born bb.

well, for each of its own.... it's a decision to make & she has to bear the consequences. who knows, the japanese lady might regret it later.

hahaha.... no update on IVF issue so side track a bit is fine... i guess :unsure: oh well, it's not easy to get ppl talking around here anyway.