Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aussiemom

What you cannot do during confinement?

15 posts in this topic

erm.. i notice during my sister confinement month last time my sis not to drink those plain water. she drink the red dates water throughout her confinement month. and it must be warm drink... no cold drink is allow...

i just recall something that my sis told me. she read from a chinese pregnancy magazine that the one should not be standing while drinking water during her confinement month. it is believe that if she stand and drink water, then she might have problem to control her urinary bladder in her old age....

i heard that, cant wash hair, cant shower...is it true? but, i read in some books that, the reason that cant 'get wet' is because, there weren't hair dryer & water heater shower set in the past, that's why, during confinement, mommy is not allow to shower & hair wash. so, i am thining to wash my hair in a salon during my confinement mth, hope that my mom is ok abt this...also, not allow to let anyone to 'bang' or ''hit' shouder, this, i dont know for waht reason then...

ya, i heard abt drinking water, taiwanese's tip for water substitution is, drink cooked rice wine. but, the disadvantage abt this is, ur baby will get drunk, ha. not so sure how true this is...

cuz, ppl sd, the cook rice wine that mommy tk will become one of the source for breastmilk, so,imagine baby drinking breastmilk that contain bits of rice wine....then, i think that's why baby will get drunk, & fall asleep all day long qua..

This is indeed an interesting topic and the list of do's and dont's can go on forever. Also depends on individual practice/belief.

I can say that I went through quite a thorough and 'complete' confinement (thanks to my MIL). I followed almost all the 'pantang-larang' but not to the extreme. Thorough means:

I cant bath everyday

I cant wash my hair

I cant walk down the stairs (not initially but after a while ok lah but have to walk very very slow)

I cant read / watch TV (bad for the eyes)

I cant use the computer (bad for the eyes and radiation)

Anyway, there were some 'levy' given by my MIL. I guess during confinement the most important is the support from the family members. Words of encouragement and also tolerance play an important role.

I had a natural delivery so I was quite mobile right after my delivery. I stayed at my MIL's place during my confinement. I didnt bathed for the 1st week and i only started washing my hair on the 8th day (supposed to be longer but I had a 'urut' session for 3 days in a row which caused my hair to be super duper oily and dirty - from the oilment used during msg session). I bathed with those herbal water (dai fung ngai) and only allowed to bath 2-3 times in a week. After my 1st hair wash, I only washed my hair again on my girl's full month.

From the begining I know that I want to breast feed my girl and I am thankful to my MIL for being so supportive and encouraging. I know from friends whereby their MIL/confinement ladies threw 'cold water' and discourage them on breastfeeding as the reason given was the mother supposed to rest during confinement and another very very common phrase - "You dont have enough milk!!! the baby is still hungry. Must give formula". Thank goodness my MIL knew about the goodness in breastfeeding. And I also have a very supportive husband - to be my 'armour' hindering away all the negative comments from others.

I also took red dates tea during confinement as well as the ginger rice drink. I seldom drink plain water. Even when I did, the water have to be boiled and warm. Absolutely no cold water. Eating wise, I refrain myself from taking alchohol (DOME/rice wine/brandy) directly as I am breastfeedinbg. Instead, my MIL used those to cook dishes for me (cooked alchohol is ok as the alchoholic content already evaporated during the cooking process) And I always took it 2 hours before I breastfeed my girl. For those who wants to breastfeed, do take note that pig's liver will reduce BM production.

During the 1 month of confinement period I looked after my girl almost by myself except bathing her as I cant touch water. For the 1st week of her life, I have to woke up every half-an-hour to breastfeed her. So must really be persistent and mentally prepared for this. Right after my confinement, I moved back home with my girl and I took care of her alone for 2 months before I went back to work.

I agree with mummy xeen...the list is endless. Aside from what we eat for our meal, we need to take supplements for our general health too.

There's this product which can assists to regulate & nourish women recovering from childbirth. The clinical studies shows 98% effective in reducing postpartum complications, helps in the contraction of uterus. Wish i knew bout this product during my confinement period coz during that period i suffer from baby blues. Quite depressed at that time coz i'm a first time mother.

After reading all above, I think I am kind of "out of space"... I am still in my confinement month (so to speak), but I think I had broken all the confinement rules and regulation...

1st, after the 17 hours of long labor, i was "soaked" in sweat and extremely sticky and stink. After 8 hours for getting over the effect of epidural, the first thing I did was a warm-hot shower and washed my hair (of course I blow dry it immediately).

Drinking water? yes, i am taking about 2-3L of plain water daily, since I am BF my baby. I had a family record of diabetes & I was having gestational diabetes. So, I was trying to cut down all the sugar intake including those red dates drink with brown sugar. Doctor does recommended me to take more water. As long as NO COLD drink, luke warm water is ok.

My confinement nanny was in shock when she first came to my house. I was having a fruits feast that time --> Mangoes, banana, melon, apple, grapes, etc.... she almost pengsan when she saw those. :blink: (but at the end, I continue to enjoy fruits everyday as I personally don't pay too much attention to those "pantang" stuff, and I believe that fruits & vege intake is important)...

The last rule i broke was... A comment given by my confinement nanny yesterday... "Out of 30 days confinement period, you had been going out for 25 days!!!" gosh! did I? I din't realize that...

I hate those old fashioned rules! Pissed me off a lil when people were telling me this n that. I just followed the rules that i thought were neccesary... and the ones that i thought were kinda stupid (Like dont drink while standing up, u have to sit.) etc... i didnt follow.

And the issue bout not allowed to wash ur hair and shower for how many days, i definitely didnt follow at all! I showered and washed my hair 2 days after i delivered.

Just make sure you blow dry ur hair as soon as ur done showering.

i understand that all those pantang larangs during confinement are nuisances.. But after all it's for our own body and baby's good mah.. So why not just be patient for a month and after that you can do whatever you want ady.

i don't see not taking shower for a month gives any good to ourselves & baby. the mother is so unhygienic, carrying all the germs, etc, throughtout the long one months, breastfeeding baby? carrying her?? kiss the baby maybe??? eerrrrgggg..... how smelly can the mother be!

& yes, it's stupid to say can't stand, must sit when drinking water. i don't see the rational of it. it's very laughable btw.

to me if the rules make sense, i'll definitely follow. else, too bad. during my parents time, my mom don't even follow such nonsense.

during my confinement time, i still watching TV, read books/newspaper, doing some paper work for my hubby, suft net and check email.. hhaaa...... but make sure u have to take rest and not doing this kind of thing for long hours.. I will lie down to read books and newspaper anyway.. otherwise our back bone will feel painful after 1 mth...

I will still bath everyday with boiling with chinese herbs, of course will not wash my hair everyday.. will wash it 2 weeks once.. this already make me feel uneasy.. i don't know how they can last for 1 mth only wash their hair... :P

I guess some of the rules are good if not it wouldnt be set till now. However, we shall also measure which is rational and which is not. For instant, not allow to go out during confinement period. I think this is really good. Because isn't that you should take good rest at home after 10months of pregnancy?

Well it still depends on individual :)

I still take bath everyday but with the Confinement Bath & Body Cleanser. It contains Lemongrass, Ginger, White Camphor and Rose Otto. It has great warming effect and very convenient to use, particularly I had my kids in the States. Don't have to brew the herbs. http://lovingavenue.blogspot.com

However, I only washed my hair twice during my confinement month.

I don't eat much " rice wine chicken" because of breastfeeding. My mom was complaining that I can't even finish a bottle of the rice wine (only used half a bottle). But I ate lots of ginger and used those ginger juice in the cooking.

Yup, not sure about standing up drinking water but my mom told me that I can't stand while eating.