meiteoh

What to avoid?

28 posts in this topic

I'm in my first trimester and am wondering what I should avoid in terms of activities and food.

Any advice/ideas?

I'm in my first trimester and am wondering what I should avoid in terms of activities and food.

Any advice/ideas?

Hello Mei,

I am not pregnant but I remember my FMIL warn my FSIL not to take 'cold' food like pineapple, coconut water, watermelon and seafood. One more important things which is shark fin, never ever go for it and I heard that it's caused miscarriage.

Take good care of urself.

I eat everything, only avoiding the foods that my doc prohibits. which is oysters, raw/semiraw food (I avoided soft-boiled egg on my own) like sushi, alcohol and caffein (including coffee, tea, milo chocolate, cola) although I hearn tiny amounts of caffein is ok.

As a respect to my baby's grandparents (both sets) wishes (They absolutely forbid) I eat very little of the so called cold foods and also try to eat only the not so "toxic" fish.

In return, I did "confinement" on my own terms. which is I get to bath EVERYDAY. kekek

Just to add, activitywise, if your pregnancy is normal, just don't do too strenuous activity, keeping in mind that your baby needs oxygen from you. You can continue to exercise like normal as far as I know, but don't push yourself that;s all. Infact I still clean house, mop the whole house, go swimming weekly etc until my last month. Coz I know once baby arrive my life will change forever.

Cool! Thanks heaps for all the advice! :)

I haven't taken fish since coming here (too expensive) and the only seafood I take are those seafood mixes (I cook them in tom yum) - no oysters there (dun fancy them). Even then, dun take a lot coz it's too expensive. T.T

My mum did add that apart from cooling stuff, I shouldn't take banana...I think it's because of the constipation.

I've been eating more meat and prunes though...

Trexxd, that's great! I still want to keep fit - not crazy fit but y'know, walking and housework - and it's nice to know that I can do all those. My MIL didn't want me doing ANYTHING when she was here helping out with the move, not even sweeping the floor. Felt so depressed la that time...

Im in the 11th week pregnancy already and its my first birth.

So can i know more about what thing should have avoid? Lets say food..exercise..and so on..

Should have lots of pantang larang to learn as well.

I need some helps from here as im staying in UK right now, so there is no one for me to rely on..

:(

Thanks for helping

Bell, my mum said to avoid eating too much lamb or you can catch a condition (some complex Cantonese thing)...she also said to not take cold stuff like pineapples, cold water, cincau, those sort of things because it might be bad for the body plus it'll add to the discharge and if you'r eunlucky, you can get UTI from this.

She also mentioned that depending on how fit your body is, you can still walk but nothing too vigorous like climbing up and down stairs and etc. Running also is not really good for the baby/uterus.

One friend did tell me to avoid all products with caffeine - this includes tea (green or white or etc), coffee, Coke and chocolate. No herbal supplements and must be very very careful with what you put into your mouth like raw food, seafood (fish and oysters are not advisable) as well as supplements. Regular vit supplements are not good for the baby coz they are too high in Vit A so need to take prenatal vits instead.

They all did tell me to take more calcium and folic acid plus iron and if you get constipation (coz your body will absorb more nutritions from the food digestion process), take more prunes and fruits.

Hope this helps! :)

Hi meiteoh,

Thanks for the info and it does help me a lot. :rolleyes:

I know that i should avoid taking too much caffein but i dont realise that i musnt eat too much chocolates too.

Mind to tell me about the reasons? Regulary i tend to take chocs as a snack. hmm..

ANyway, will try to avoid it and thanks for your advices.

Luckily im not fond into lamb and beef. At the moment, im taking the usual meal like chicken, vege and sometimes fish.

Yea i take folic acid too currently after the midwife told me to do so or else i wouldnt know..

Before this, i take shark liver oil everyday but someone told me liver is too toxic for pregnant lady and therefore, i stop taking it now..

Chocolates have been known to be a stimulant (did you know that if you feed chocolates to dogs and cats, they can actually die?) plus the increase in sugar is not great for pregnant women, especially if you have a history of diabetes in the family. It is also heaty so can lead to constipation and etc (or say they believe) and when you're pregnant, your body is more heaty than usual.

A friend of mine who is a nutritionist told me to avoid cod liver oil or any fish oil until the third trimester because it makes your blood watery (is used to lowering blood pressure, etc) so it can increase your risk of a miscarriage. I was adviced to only take it during the third trimester together with the supplements that I was on before I got pregnant - probiotics and EPO.

Anyway, I just got back from visiting some relatives in the medical field and was told not to eat 1) raw meat (ham, etc); 2) raw veg must be wash VERY thoroughly, avoid if you can help it; 3) anything with raw eggs, this includes chocolate mousse, desserts, sauces, etc; 4) certain fishes - no salmon, tuna, sardine, codfish, sea bass and etc (canned tuna and sardine is ok but still, don't overdo) - because of levels of mercury in the fish; 5) certain seafoods like oysters, clams and etc... If you must take milk and cheese, make sure that they are made with pasteurised milk.

Raw foods are avoided because of its link to bacteria like listeria, toxoplasmosis (sp) (if you have cats, you need to watch out as well) as well as salmonella - all of which are bad for pregnant women. Certain activities like gardening and cleaning must be done with gloves to avoid catching "stuff" - bacteria, etc. And if you're using detergent with strong fumes, it's better to get someone else to do it OR make you sure really air the place.

huh...even not to fresh milk... hmm...

i've learn something new today...

Urm, by fresh, I meant fresh from cow coz they are available here in Europe. But in M'sia, I think almost all the milk you see in stores are UHT or pasteurised already so no worries. :)

Thanks Meiteoh...

Thats very informative and in details..

i will have a long way to learn..hmm..

These coming weeks will be stressful and tension for me as i need to sit for my final.

Hope that doesnt affect my little fetus..

So chat with you again very soon.

Im coming back to Msia on June..

i believe in consuming everything in moderate. don't really into this avoiding so call cooling stuff. i take almost everything, you name it! except that we should avoid raw meat for its bacteria, as per my gynae advice too. so far so good, my pregnancy goes smoothly & my little girl is already 4 mths!

Even though I dont really believe in the 'cool food', I still follow it anyway. Better be safe than to be sorry. So, I avoided banana, watermelon, pineapple, cold drinks, raw food (Oh, how I miss my sushi) during my 1st trimester. Anyway, cant eat much too due to morning sickness.

My gynae recommends to take lots of iron and fish liver oil if possible.

i mean how much can you consume in a day of all these "cooling" food? we don't take the whole pineapple, etc, rite?

(iron & fish oil) LOTS of it?? lots is not always better though.

Well, since this was my 1st pregnancy, I am just going to play it save. Yeah, we dont consume the whole pineapple but I am not taking my chances. Like I said, better be save than to be sorry.

As for the iron, just take one table each per day. Depending on your dosage, take 1-2 tablets per day for the fish oil. I try not to miss my dosage as I can be forgetful sometimes. My gynae said that is good enough

guess the practice in sg & msia is diff or probably it's the gynaes' knowkledge/believes. to my gynae there's no such things as "cooling" stuff. happen that i think the same. anyway, important is u r comfortable with it.

hahaha.... as u said "lots of it" i thot u r taking like 3-5 tab each!

i believe to the gyneas, there are no such think as cooling stuff. its just a matter of chinese believe and old people's saying. You may not think it is true and will have no impact to the baby but just follow it anyway to be on the safe side. also, so that they dont nag you. LOL

oh ya...

another thing i want to add is that

when u drink ice water make sure not to when the PIL or parents are there.

coz once u drink it they assumming u been drinking ice water everyday.

So when after give birth bb got any sick they will blame it and said becoz

the mama always drink ice water during pregnancy

hehehehe

that's happened to my sister

aishiteru

dat's consider cheating :unsure: . i would rather hv my own stand, we r aldults anyway. some juz hv the urgue to consume certain non-allowed stuff. in moderate shd b alrite. i see my colleague having cans aft cans of coke. lucky for me, i never hv any of such urgue.

lunarbubbles

yea... the chinese seems to hv so much "believes"! up to individual i guess, believing is not necessary on the safe side always. i recall reading an article sometimes back saying a preggy restrict her intake of certain food & at the end causes the bb defects. so, to believe or not, up to individual still :lol:

babyblue,

some ppl will follow exactly the traditional rules such us no yellow foods, no ice water and no this no that

but gynae said it's ok but everything is moderate.

once a while takes a sip of ice water ok 1 mah... rite? but when u did it .. you might get

branded as always drink ice water....

it's good that if the mama can refrained from taking all the bad food.

aishiteru / babyblue,

well yes, I did take a small cup of cold water once in a while. perhaps 1-2 cups per week but i definately avoided it during the 1st trimester. the 1st trimester is always the most dangerouse period cos you might miscarriage.. yes, although i dont believe ALL of the pantangs for new mother, i still observe it.

just healthily. avoid those colas and don't eat to much of sweet stuff.

get supplements like vitamins and maternal drink rolleyes.gif

Hi all,

My wife is 17 weeks into her pregnancy and our house has termites. I know any form of pest control is not good for the expectant mother and neither is it good for the fetus.

Does anyone have or had similar experences or is going thru what I'm going thru now? what should I do? I know I would have to treat my house because if I wait, I'm sure the termite situation will get worse.

I have heard of sentricon. Is it safe to use?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Thorsten.